Saturday, May 7, 2011

The journey comes to an end.

As 2010 year came to a close I was extended on my orders to serve with another OWT group for the 2010- 2011 year. I was accepted as a 42 A - Human Resource. It required a lot of time. We had structured physical Training as a Battalion every day. Then the day began at the office. My role was really to manage the needs of the battalion so the companies could train.

This unit was responsible for IED Defeat, Live Fire Convoy, as well as driver's training for MRAPs. They worked tirelessly, 14- 16 hours a day training the deploying soldiers. During 2010 they trained over 2,000 soldiers. It was a very rewarding time for all of us.

I had to make a lot of adjustments for my disabilities, I removed my chair and used a ball for sitting at my desk. Sitting in a chair sent muscle spasms up my spine, sending me to an emergency room. I struggled to find a way to balance my work, my injuries and my off time.

The work kept me busy. I never felt bored, restless or under appreciated. I had an excellent XO. One of the smartest men I know. I was extremely lucky to have the best S-3 I've ever had the privilege to work with. My staff was dedicated, professional and amazingly talented. We worked like a family. I felt honored to serve with all of them.

I pushed myself to do my absolute best at everything I was assigned. I wanted to provide the best quality service to the men in my BN. These guys are amazing. The knowledge they bring to the table is phenomenal. I haveonly had the pleasure of working with such a group of soldiers one other time in my career.
(143rd FA).

I was so focused on my work that I never really noticed my pain. I maintained my medication and continued to work hard. Unfortunately, my medication made me feel better than I was. This caused me to feel like I was able to do everything I used to do. That's how I started to deteriorate.

I was in and out of the hospital's ER 5-6 times for back spasms. I was getting worse. I was only able to continue my work through a new round of stronger medication. I was not willing to give in to the possibility that I wasn't able to do my PT. But at the end of the year I was given a permanent profile.

I was unable to wear my IBA, Kevlar, or ride in military vehicles, and no more PT. This set in motion my med board. So that's were I am. My med board is underway and I am uncertain what the results will be. I have gone through the ups and downs associated with this disability and I am ready for a decision to be made.


I should have an answer to my disability by next month. I am looking forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment