Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Living a Myth

For as long as I can remember I have never liked the grey areas. I have a serious issue when the rules say - you may not do this, if you do then this is the consequence AND THEN someone breaks this rule and the consequences don't apply. this goes against all the norms set forth.
Whenever norms on behavior are enforces episodically, even with situational adjustments the value or the impact of that norm is reduced. So let's take this situation for instance; the rules say the fraternization is not allowed. And if this does occur then the result will be any combination of consequences. But this really only applies to soldiers outside of your organization, not to you. Bullshit.
If the rules are broken it is either yes it is broken or no it is not. Of course there is the saying that you are innocent until proven guilty - but really you already know if you are guilty or not, it is just a game to make THEM PROVE you did it.
It has become the norm in some units to know the rules, but not to adhere to the rules. And when they are called to answer for their choices, they immediately look for ways to beat the system. This is a gray area. For not going with the status quo, for asking if this is the rule, why aren't we following it? means risking not being a team player. If being a team player means sticking my head in the sand and ignoring what is occurring and not reporting the inconsistency between what the rule is and what is actually being done, then I am not a team player.
If I am responsible for my team, and my team does something that breaks the norms, breaks the rules or challenges what is morally right I need to step up and say something. So if by looking out for the best interest of my team means I am not a team player, then I can live with that. I do not want to be a team player at the risk of living a myth.

No comments:

Post a Comment